Support Personnel

Last Updated: 9/15/2021 6:26 PM

Support Staff

School Psychologist
Vision/Hearing Itinerants 
School Nurses
Speech and Language
Diagnostic Resource Consultants (DRC)
Social Workers
Occupational and Physical Therapists


The School Psychologists support and evaluate students who may be experiencing academic or behavioral difficulties. They assist with team problem solving by consulting with staff and parents regarding collected data that will assist in identifying support to students according to their needs . School Psychologists are members of multidisciplinary teams in each building in the district which conduct Full Case Studies to determine if there is a need to entitle a student to receive Special Education Services.

Vision-Hearing Itinerants

This program services children with vision or hearing difficulties. The program enables students to learn different strategies in order to be successful in school.

School Nurses
School nurses service students in schools by keeping health records, dispersing medication, assisting in emergencies, and preparing health histories for special education staffings.

Speech and Language

Speech and language therapy services in the school setting focus on screening for articulation, language, voice or fluency difficulty. If your child is experiencing delays in any of these areas, he/she will be evaluated and possibly begin to receive services to address their needs. Speech and language therapy consist of one, two or three sessions a week to learn and practice increased articulation skills, vocabulary knowledge and use, or fluency and voice improvements. The school speech and language therapist will meet with the student’s parents at conferences during the school year and on a yearly basis to discuss goal progress and recommendation.

Special Education Resource Program Diagnostic Resource Consultants (DRC)

The special education resource program is designed for students with learning disabilities or mild behavior issues. This is most often the first special education placement when a student has been struggling academically or behaviorally and is found to have a learning disability or mild emotional problem. Other than placement in the regular program with supports, the resource program is usually considered the least restrictive special education placement. Students spend the majority of their day in general education and are sometimes pulled out by the resource teacher into the resource room for individual or small group instruction in the areas targeted as being delayed (i.e. reading comprehension, math computation, work completion, etc.). The resource teacher and the general education teacher use a variety of approaches such as Co-Teaching, to teach the children in the larger classroom setting which allows the resource teacher to observe students in their classroom to ascertain that they are utilizing strategies taught in the resource room and will also reduce student/teacher ratio .

Social Work Services

The school social worker will work with students who may have behavioral, emotional, or family concerns. The Social Worker will have a caseload of students that will be seen on a regular basis. Some students may have social work services for a short period of time in order to work out an immediate issue. The school social worker will work closely with the classroom teacher, parents and outside resources in order to give the students appropriate help through-out the school year.

The school social worker is also responsible for significant components of the IEP for case studies, annual reviews and tri-annual reviews.

Occupational and Physical Therapists

Occupational and physical therapy are services related to special education. They provide specialty evaluations for the students suspected of having difficulty with motor skills that are affecting their school performance.

1. Gross motor skills (walking, sitting and standing, strength, balance and coordination)

2. Fine motor skills (hand skills for manipulating school related tools such as pencil, scissors and fasteners)

3. Visual and perceptual motor skills (related to eye hand coordination: recognizing shapes/size/direction)

4. Self care skills (dressing, toileting and feeding)

5. Sensory motor skills (the ability to acquire in information from the environment, process it and respond)

In order to receive occupational and or physical therapy services, a student must first qualify as disabled under a special education category and be eligible to receive special education services. Once the student meets these qualifications, an evaluation will occur to determine the motor problems. If the student qualifies for OT or PT, the law states they can only receive services in the school with a doctor’s order on file. Services may be delivered directly or on consultation basis either in the classroom or the therapy room.

Occupational Therapist

Occupational Therapist Assistant